Tuesday, November 08, 2011

My Bucket List

I have been challenged to create a bucket list (see the details at the bottom of my post - it's a fantastic idea and worthy cause!)  Creating a bucket list for the purpose of stirring up the excitement of life and life goals really is a great way to remind us of the many things we have to live for (and is very fun to create)!  Falling into the mundane of life is easy to do, but it's exciting to be reminded we've been given.  Only God knows how long the span of our life will be, but the time we're given is a gift and every single moment gives us the opportunity to make good choices, to do what is good and worthy, and to love without hesitation.  Having children makes this statement seem even more pressing.  The cliche of these early years flying by is very true!  It does.  This time I have with my babies is fleeting and the moments I have to impress the important things in life, share in the joy (and sometimes disappointment) of aspiring to do our best, and follow our dreams and callings is short!   


Making life goals - fun, heavy, serious, silly or lofty - is a worthwhile task.  It's inspiring.  


Will you make one with me?  Make it good.  Make it meaningful.  Make it fun.  And then, start crossing off those items! 


 I loved being challenge to make this list, as I have never actually made one before!  


In no particular order:


1.  I want to sing again.  I miss it so much!  I want to sing with a choir again and beyond that, someday travel to Europe to sing perhaps a beautiful Requiem of a great composer in a grand Cathedral (it sounds lofty, but there have been opportunities before that passed me by.  I know there could be one again!).  


2.  I want to share my love of music with my children.  I want to teach my kids how to play piano, and I hope to someday, enjoy my love of music alongside of them, making music together.


3.  I want to learn more every day about taking pictures, composing shots, editing photos, and capturing moments that people want to remember.  I'd love to take some classes!  At this point I love it as a hobby and as my creative outlet, but someday I think I would love for it to become more than just a hobby.


4.  Scotland holds much of my ancestry and I desire to someday travel there and spend time with long distance family and learn more about the home of my grandma and great grandparents and beyond.


5.  Our family is lucky and blessed enough to support a child in Thailand (through Compassion International) and it would be amazing for our family to someday meet the sweet little girl we correspond with and her family.  


6.  I want to volunteer and serve alongside my children.


7.  Someday I would love to travel with Jon - to Australia... to Canada... I'm not sure.  But I want to explore another country with him.


8.  Read the entire Bible.  I am ashamed that I have been a believer of Christ for more than 10 years and have read much of the Bible, but not all of it.  (This is one I can and should start TODAY!).


9.  I want to find my niche in the exercise world.  What I mean is, several of my friends enjoy running, but I just don't love or desire it like they do.  Perhaps I could dance or bike or swim.... I want to figure that out.


10.  Having a home that caters to hosting has been a dream of mine since becoming a home owner.  I want to have parties and host dinners and have Thanksgiving at OUR house someday.


11.  Someday I'll teach again.  And when I do, I want to be good at it, to be fun, and to feel the great calling and purpose of teaching young minds.  


12.  I want to go to another (or several) Broadway show (and perhaps be a member of the Sing Off Audience, too!).  


13.  Jon's family lives on the East coast and I have never been to that side of the country or seen the Atlantic Ocean.  I want to swim in the Atlantic.


14.  I want to learn to play the guitar.  And well.


15.  I want to be a full supporter of my kids' dreams and desires. I hope to be uninhibited in supporting them, finances or not, risks or not.  I want them to do what they love or what God has called them to do!


I think that's it!  If you decide to join in and make a list, will you please add your link or even your list in the comments?  Of course, enter your link in the site below for the chance of winning a prize.  This is a good motivator, too!  :)


Happy listing!


This is my entry in the Just Ask Bucket List Getaway Giveaway. Just Ask offers a breast and ovarian cancer screening and is encouraging people to share 15 things that I want to enjoy in my lifetime as a reminder to be aware of my health. Want to enter? Head over to TodaysMama.com to get the details. 

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

As someone who HAS been to see my Compassion child, I love that goal on your list! I, too, want to go to Scotland someday. And the Atlantic - nice and warm, and lots more seashells to collect there. :-)

shellycoulter said...

Nice. It was fun to read your bucket list. I have started one but haven't looked at it for quite a while. Maybe I will look and update and enter mine too...If I can narrow it down to 15 things. I think it is around 45 things already. ;) Ha!

Sidenote: I remember you practicing some foreign piece of music for me when you were in college and were nervous about it. Do you remember that? It was so beautiful and I was really impressed with how much control you had singing all the different notes (pitches?) I obviously have no musical knowledge or gifting. Ha! And your recital was incredible. I would love for you to sing like that again someday! :)

Unknown said...

Most definitely meet your sponsor child! We met our World Vision child in Guatemala and it was absolutely beautiful and encouraging and wonderful.

Perhaps I will add to my own bucket list watching friends such as you share your talents, such as singing...I'd absolutely love to hear you as part of a choir or as a solo act ^^

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...